List of Major Dams in India: Dams in India PDF: Dams in India PDF covers the list of Important dams in India and rivers on which they are built, this list is arranged state wise. Here we have given the List of Important Dams in India PDF which was given in state wise. This PDF consist of Major Rivers and dams in India. This Study material was most important for competitive exams like SSC, Railway, and Bank Exams. Aspirants preparing for this can make use of it.
Major Dams in India
Check some of the important points about the dams. How dams are useful in the modern world for society.
- ➤ Providing adequate water for domestic and city use,
- ➤ Water supply for irrigation purposes,
- ➤ Water is a need for many industries,
- ➤ Hydroelectric power production,
- ➤ River navigation – it is the cheapest form of transportation.
- ➤ Dams Reservoirs are used for fishing and boating purpose, thus provide livelihood to many.
- ➤ They are useful to control the flow of river, helping in flood conditions.
Important Dams in India
Here you can check the list of some important dams in India. Here you get the information of Highest/ Largest, Longest and oldest dam in India.
|Dams in India|
|Highest Dam in India||Tehri Dam(Uttarakhand)||Height: 260 metersLength: 575 meters
River: Bhagirathi River
Year of completion:2006 (1st phase)
|Longest Dam in India||Hirakud Dam (Odisha)||Total Length: 25.79 km (16.03 mi)Length of Main Dam:4.8 km (3.0 mi)
Year of completion:1953
|Oldest Dam in India||Kallanai Dam(Tamil Nadu)||River: KaveriLocation: Tamil Nadu
Year of completion: 100 BC –100 AD
List of Dams Of India is an important static GK topic in terms of competitive exams syllabus. For information on various static GK, topics check the article linked here.
The list of some major dams in India have been given below:
Major Rivers and Dams in India
|Andhra Pradesh||Nagarjunasagar Dam||Krishna|
|Bihar||Nagi Dam||Nagi River|
|Minimata Bango (Hasdeo)||Hasdeo|
|Gangreal Dam (R.S. Sagar)||Mahanadi|
|Gujarat||Sardar Sarovar Dam||Narmada|
|Himachal Pradesh||Chamera Dam||Ravi|
|Maharana Pratap Sagar Dam||Beas|
|Bhakra Nangal Dam||Sutlej|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Salal Dam||Chenab|
|Cholal Dam||Cholal Choe|
|Chutak Hydroelectric Plant||Suru|
|Nimoo Bazgo Hydroelectric Plant||Indus|
|Supa||Kalinadi (Kali) River|
|Tunga Bhadra||Thunga Bhadra|
|Basava Sagar Dam( Narayanpur)||Krishna|
|Idukki Arch Dam||Periyar|
|Ladakh||Dumkar Hydroelectric Dam||Indus|
|Indira Sagar Dam||Narmada|
|Gandhi Sagar Dam||Chambal|
|Madikheda Dam||Sindh River|
|Bhatsa||Bhatsa & Chorna River|
|Girna||Girna and Godavari River|
|Ranjit Sagar (Thein) Dam||Ranjit Sagar (Thein)|
|Bakhra Nangal Dam||Bakhra Nangal|
|Mahai Bajaj Sagar Dam||Mahi|
|Rana Pratap Sagar Dam||Chambal|
|GovindBallabh Pant Sagar Dam||Rihand|
|West Bengal||Kangasabati||Kangasabati, Kumari|
The details on a few of the Largest Dams in India have been given below:
The Tehri Dam is located in the state of Uttarakhand. It is the highest Dam in India with a height of 216 metres. It is also listed in the top ten highest dams in the world. This Dam is situated on the river Bhagirathi.
- Height of the Dam- 260 m
- Length of the Dam- 575 m
- Type of Dam- Rockfill
- The reservoir capacity- 21,00,000 acre-feet
- Capacity that is installed- 1000 Megawatt
Bhakra Nangal Dam
The Bhakra Nangal Dam is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh and Punjab. It is the largest dam in India having a height of 225 meters and also in the second position in the largest dams all over Asia. It is situated on the river Sutlej.
- Height of the Dam- 226 m
- Length of the Dam- 520m
- Type of Dam- Concrete Gravity
- The reservoir capacity- 75,01,775 acre-feet
- Capacity that is installed- 1325 Megawatt
The Hirakud Dam is located in the state of Orissa. It is the longest dam in India with a length of 26 kms. It is also in the list of the longest dams in the world. The Hirakud Dam is situated on the river Mahanadi.
- Height of the Dam- 96 m
- Length of the Dam- 8km
- Type of Dam- Composite Dam
- The reservoir capacity- 47,79,965 acre feet
- Capacity that is installed- 5 Megawatt
Nagarjuna Sagar Dam
The Nagarjuna Sagar Dam is located in the state of Andhra Pradesh. It is India’s largest Masonry Dams built till date. It is the largest manmade lake in the world. It has 26 gates and is 1.6 kms in length. It is situated on the river Krishna.
- Height of the Dam- 124m
- Length of the Dam- 1450m
- Type of Dam- Masonry Dam
- The reservoir capacity- 93,71,845 acre-feet
- Capacity that is installed- 816 Megawatt
Sardar Sarovar Dam
The Sardar Sarovar Dam is located in the state of Gujarat. It is the largest dam in the Narmada Valley Project. This Dam is to benefit the other neighboring states of Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Maharashtra. It is situated on the river Narmada River.
- Height of the Dam- 163m
- Length of the Dam- 1210m
- Type of Dam- Gravity Dam
- The reservoir capacity- 77,01,775 acre-feet
- Capacity that is installed- 1450 Megawatt
- Daily Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams
- Oscar Awards Winners 2020 – Check Out the List of Winners of Oscar 2020!
- List of Padma Award Winners 2020 – Download Free PDF
- List of Important Forest In India – Download PDF Now!
- List of Countries, Capitals and their Currencies- Download PDF!
- List of Important National and International Days & Dates
- List of Thermal and Nuclear Power Plants in India: Gk Notes in PDF!
- List of National & International Organizations and their Headquarters
- List of Countries and their National Games – Complete List for SSC & Railways Exam!
Join our Social Channels For updates:
Team Exams Cloud
Share & Support Us